Page dedication

This blog is dedicated to the Life and Service of Captain Witold Pilecki - May 13, 1901 to May 25, 1948

Monday, February 20, 2017

Had to School My Wife

I hate to use that term, because my wife is a normally savvy and intelligent woman. The other night, while watching the news, the story was on about the ICE raids around the nation, and the round-up of illegals for deportation. I said aloud at the TV "Round `em Up!" My wife turns and looks at me and exclaims, "How can you say that! You're entire family history is based on immigration!" She had fallen prey to the #FAKENEWS stories that do not draw the distinction between my great-grandparents from Canada held up for vetting in Vermont, or from Poland held up for God knows how long at Ellis Island, from those that enter illegally. Also, those that are being deported right now have committed crimes while being here illegally. My ancestors were NOT criminals. They were all hard working and God-fearing people employed in the mills and textile factories of Massachusetts. They raised their families and paid their taxes and were upstanding members of their communities. While it is true they were all white of European descent, that didn't make them any better than any brown people that came here, because they ALL assimilated to the American way of life and learned English. They did this without discarding their heritage. Although most of my family is French-Canadian, I got most of my ethnic heritage from my maternal grandmother's Polish family. Devout Catholics, we celebrated Christmas and Easter with traditional Polish food, which I still enjoy whenever I can. I am pro-immigration as long as the country can handle the numbers wanting to come into the U.S., but anyone that comes here MUST enter legally, assimilate to American culture, learn English, and not come looking for a handout.

After that brief exchange with my wife, she has been silent on the issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment