Page dedication

This blog is dedicated to the Life and Service of Captain Witold Pilecki - May 13, 1901 to May 25, 1948

Sunday, June 5, 2016

Dashcam Videos 6-5-16

This past Christmas, my wife got me a GoPro Hero 3+ camera. I am not a big outdoors extreme adventurer, but I have used it for snowmobiling, biking, and yesterday's kayak trip. Most of the time, however, I use it as a dash-cam. I used the black base plate for the clear plastic box it came in as the mount for my truck dashboard, and velcroed it in place. I was having focus issues with the camera, and it turned out the GoPro Hero 3+ was setup for more for underwater photography and effin' SELFIES! I found a YouTube how to video that demonstrates how to change the lens focus, and did the modification. I took the GoPro on my errand run this afternoon for a dash-cam test run to see how the new focal setting worked. I was very pleased with the results.

Whenever I go down south, I am reminded what an asshole I am, because everyone down there is so nice. Whether at the checkout in a store, in a restaurant, the gas station, or especially driving, southern folks are very courteous, and it is infectious. In very short order, I go from being annoyed by everyone around me, to being friendly right back. Within a few days of being back in the PSRK, I am back to being an asshole. That said, there are a couple of driving issues that never seem to go away. Both of the next couple of videos took place on the same outing this afternoon.

I was at the light at the end of the RT. 6 off ramp onto RT. 32 in Willimantic where this took place. A douche bag runs a red light several seconds after it changed. Had there been an accident, I would have been more than happy to provide my video to law enforcement and have that jerk prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
 


When I took drivers education in 1978, I was taught how to properly enter the highway. The purpose of an entrance ramp was to use the length to accelerate to speed, and by the time you got to the merge with traffic, your speed matched the traffic speed and you easily slid in to an opening. I don't know how many times I get behind these morons that do 30 MPH the entire length of the entrance ramp, and wait until the last second to hit the gas. This guy was all over the road while poking along. I looked way down the eastbound lane and saw it was all clear before I made my move.
 

My full size V-8 powered pickup has plenty of power to get by such an idiot. Since I had a street bike and rode it for seven seasons, I learned the axiom that sometimes you can get out of situations using the throttle instead of the brake. I drive that way to this day no matter what I am driving, and that is also true when driving in 4WD. You use a little bit of accelerator so the front wheels pull you the direction your wheels are turned.

1 comment:

  1. No excuse for the red light runner. There was time enough to slow down and stop. The last accident I was in was from a retard who thought he could beat the odds on a yellow light while making a left turn (opposite direction, in front of me). I t-boned him, lost my p/up, and my insurance company because of that.

    But for the on-ramp slow driver, I, personally, would be willing to give the driver a pass. Considering that looks like a light 1/4T p/up, I (again, from personal experience) know they can get squirrelly in the rain with that light back end. So I'd rather have them go a little slow in the rain, than have to dodge and stop for a wet-road rollover.

    B Woodman
    III-per

    ReplyDelete